Monday, April 19, 2010

Sounds like a Broken Record

Here's a list of phrases I hear on a regular basis:

"Teacher, :::insert word here::: spelling" -> They usually ask how to spell pretty easy words, but I've had a few tough ones that I've had to look up... ie: cerebral concussion and adolescence.

"Teacher, acting?!" -> After the 1000th time hearing this phrase it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Every other week is an "acting" week, but no matter what day/week/month it is, students never fail to ask me numerous times a class period.

"Teacher, :::insert students name::: hacking!" -> AKA a student is cheating.

"Teacher, how old are you?" -> See "An Unsolved Mystery" entry for more details.

"Teacher, where do you live? I want to come visit." -> I tell them I live in the classroom, sleep at my desk, and push a secret button that pops my closet out. I'm pretty sure some students actually believe me.

"Teacher, I'm done!" -> Is it really necessary to announce to the whole class when you are done with your test, memorizing passages, or in-class assignments?

"Monkey Songs" -> During the speaking section of each class there's a roll play part where the students get to pick a character. More times than none they pick the monkey character. Last term, my older students made up a "Monkey Magic" song complete with gestures and it was actually quite good. This term, one of my youngest classes made up a "I'm a monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey..." song. I think the ... explains it all.

"Teacher, Teacher, Teacher!!!" -> Students rarely call me Michelle, but when they do it's Michelle Teacher and pronounced, "Meeshell Teachuuuh".

There you have it. The phrases that are constantly ringing throughout my head.

1 comment: