Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tempted by the Fruit of Another

First of all, Happy Easter! Even though the Easter Bunny didn't find me in Korea and I didn't dye any eggs this year, I went to an Easter party last night. We played some of my favorite games, Apples to Apples and Taboo, and even had our own Easter egg hunt... there were even pink-camo, candy-filled Easter eggs! Anyways, this get together was a potluck so I decided to bring fruit kabobs. I put pineapple, green grapes and strawberries on skewers and everyone must've enjoyed them because the plate was left empty.

Earlier that day I went to Home Plus to buy the fruit and skewers. I got to the check out and the HP employee started ringing everything up. She asked me a few questions in Korean, such as "Do you have a Home Plus card?" and "Do you need a bag?" and I just nodded my head no and continued to put my items in my pink, polka dotted, re-usable bag (super cute!). Then she got to the grapes.

Some fruit is packaged and priced, ready to be rung up, while some other fruit you need to have weighed, bagged, and priced in the produce section. Well I didn't realize the grapes happened to fall into the second category. The line was getting a few people deep and I didn't want to be "that girl" holding everyone up in the check out line, so I just told her to cancel the grapes. She picked up the bag of grapes to put aside, but she picked it up upside down! All of the grapes fell out of the bag and were rolling around everywhere. She even had to call over reinforcements to help her pick them up. I felt so bad.

After that fiasco, I went back to the produce section to get more grapes. I picked out a bag that looked good and put them on the scale for the guy to weigh and price. After he put the sticker on the bag I went to a different check out line to pay for them. The total showed up on the monitor and came to about 13 USD! I mean it has been awhile since I've bought grapes in the US, but $13 for a bundle of grapes? They were delicious, but I'm not sure they lived up to their $13 price tag.

On my way home from HP I noticed a vendor selling fruit. Even though I had just bought fruit from HP, I decided to check it out. The prices were half of what HP offered and the fruit looked a lot fresher. I ended up buying more strawberries and they were so much better than HP's.

No comments:

Post a Comment