Monday, January 25, 2010

Movies, 3-D, and VIP (wishful thinking)

In honor of award season lets talk movies. Since I’ve been in Korea I’ve seen Avatar in 3-D (my first 3-D movie ever!) and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Ticket prices are about the same as in the US, the chairs are just as comfortable, and the US movies are in English with Korean subtitles. Some of the popular snacks to eat during movies are caramel corn and corn dogs. The biggest difference is that there is assigned seating like in a live theater. When you purchase your ticket you pick out your seat which makes it difficult to sit with friends at impromptu movie nights out.

Besides Harry Potter and The Twilight Saga midnight premiers, I’ve never had so much trouble getting into a movie. Q and I were both dying to see Avatar in 3-D so we got to the ticket counter and asked for two tickets. A screen in front of us showed up with the available seats left. Of course the showing we wanted to go to only had one seat left in the very back corner. Fail. We tried the next time. No luck. I noticed the line forming behind us, so we stepped out of it to decide what to do. We went to another ticket counter thinking maybe the first one was a fluke and the new one would show more seats. Unfortunately we were wrong. I felt bad for the lady behind the ticket counter who had to deal with us. Q and I went through every movie, every time, and finally settled on not sitting together and seeing The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Weird movie to say the least, so basically I paid to see Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, and Jude Law on the big screen for two hours.

I ended up bringing a lot of DVD’s to Korea to tide me over while I’m here and if you saw them it wouldn’t take a genius to realize that science fantasy movies aren’t my thing, but all the hype over Avatar I didn’t want to miss out. I finally saw the James Cameron film in 3-D. It was amazing and the glasses were quite fashionable. Also the actress who played the girl Avatar (Zoe Saldana) got her start in Center Stage... one of my favorites! I had no idea it was her, but I guess the special effects made it a little hard for me to recognize her.

Speaking of 3-D the WSJ posted an article with the headline, “LG to Offer Range of 3-D TV’s: Korean Company Teams with Skylife to Jumpstart Content”. So Korea is definitely “in” with technology and I can’t wait to see my shows in 3-D! After I saw “This Is It” (twice) I realized that MJ’s concert would’ve been incredible in 3-D, especially “Earth Song” and “Thriller”. If you felt the same way, you’re in luck. The Grammy’s is featuring “Earth Song” in 3-D so you can get a tease as to what his concert would’ve been like. So let me know how it goes!

Everyone knows I’m already counting down to The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, but I’m also really interested in seeing a movie in Korean. One of the teachers that I work with learned English from watching American movies and reading books in English. Another thing I would love to do is attend the Pusan Film Festival. It isn’t until October, but I’ve already been researching it. I remember Justin Chon, Eric from The Twilight Saga, tweeted about going to it last year. Maybe when the time comes, I’ll DM him on Twitter and I could get in VIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment