Tuesday, January 26, 2010

These are a few of my Favorite Things

-Heated floors: Koreans love it hot, including the floors. Heated floors make it (almost) enjoyable to step out of bed on a cold winter morning. I’m not sure what it is about heated floors, but if I lay on them, I can fall asleep in a second. I’m definitely going to need to install some in my (future) house.

-Shopping: When I studied abroad for a month I came home with two extra suitcases filled with fun souvenirs, purses, clothes, etc. At that rate, I’m going to come home with 24 extra suitcases so I’ve been trying to pace myself. So far I’ve been very good about shopping, minus my obsessive accessory and headband purchases. Right before I left my mom told me “Don’t buy junk! You should buy something worthwhile.” So I’ve been thinking of something memorable to save up for, something that will remind me of Korea. I’m still thinking, but until then I’ll channel my inner Blair Waldarf and keep buying headbands. I’ve been to the shopping districts in Seoul and Daejeon and I feel like I’m in heaven every time. On the streets and underground there are rows and rows of vendors selling everything imaginable. You can bargain with vendors, but I have yet to try it. There are also regular stores like Zara, The North Face, Nike, H&M, and Polo.

-Home Plus: It’s like Target on steroids. This is where I go grocery shopping. It’s about four floors (no big deal) and literally has everything. Home Plus is your one stop shop plus some.

-Korean Side Dishes: They come with every meal and I love them. Kimchi is the most popular side dish. It’s pickled cabbage and has spicy chili paste on it. I think I’m a fan of all of the side dishes because they’re all pickled. You know how I’m obsessed with sauerkraut? Well, it’s kind of like eating sauerkraut with every meal.

-Delivery is Free: Mcdonalds and every pizza joint in town delivers... for free! There isn't a minimum purchase amount either. The delivery guys ride these motorcycles with hot boxes on the back and traffic laws don't apply to them. Until I learn more Korean, I have yet to order in.

-Tipping and Tax: Or lack there of. Tipping a server or cab driver is not necessary and tax is included in everything so what you see is what you pay. Genius idea. I've tried to tip cab drivers before if they're really helpful, but they don't accept the extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment