Sunday, May 9, 2010

It's Great to be a Kid (and have a day off)

Last Wednesday was Children's Day and Cinco de Mayo. Fortunately I had the day off, so my friends threw a rooftop fiesta!

Since most students had the day off, kids were out in full force. I ventured to Home Plus in the morning and it was like stepping into a store on Black Friday, the store was packed. The cutest thing I saw was a little girl leaving Home Plus on her new bike and the basket in front was filled with other goodies. It was so adorable. The following day I asked my students what they did to celebrate Children's Day. Most students said that they studied, but a few went to Seoul and Everland (similar to Disney World). One little girl even said she got new notebooks! Woohoo!

The weather was perfect for our Mexican fiesta. The sun was shinning and the sky was clear enough to see fireworks at Expo Park at night. Like always, there was a wide assortment of delicious food like guacamole, tres leches cake, tons of meat, and even homemade hummus. I attempted to make a pinata, but it was too weak so it only lasted one whack.

My friend, Quinn, came to visit for the day from Suwon. The last train to Suwon left at 11:47 p.m. and we literally got to Daejeon Station at 11:45 p.m. Thanks to my Amazing Race skills, he made the train. I got a call about an hour later telling me that he fell asleep and missed the stop for Suwon and was now on his way to Seoul. After a certain time, the subway, train, and buses stop working and Quinn had to take both the subway and bus back to Suwon. He said he was going to sleep at a jimjilbang and head back to Suwon in the morning. Poor Quinn!

Besides Quinn's little mishap, it was a great day spent with good company.





No comments:

Post a Comment