Wednesday, February 24, 2010

All Hail Queen Yu-Na

If you haven't heard about Yu-Na Kim, you must be living under a rock and not reading my blog (caught you- I've mentioned her before!). She is the leader after the short program and is the overwhelming favorite to win the gold. It has been pretty exciting living in a country where a figure skater is considered royalty. Not only is she featured in a million advertisements, but Home Plus (Target type store) has a huge Christmas tree where you can attach good luck messages for her on the tree. The night before the short program aired, literally every channel had some sort of special on her. From showing her past performances and interviews, to behind the scenes Olympic coverage, they had it all.

All of my students were talking about her short program today. There were even some guys who imitated her James Bond poses and one student told me that she skipped school this morning to watch her perform! She trains in Canada so I'm not sure the next time she'll make it to Korea, but when she does her arrival will probably be equivalent to a Twilight premiere, maybe even bigger. Of course I want the US ladies to medal, but someone in the top three will have to make a drastic mistake during the long program in order for that to happen. I can't wait to see what happens!

1 comment: