Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Just Another Hallmark Holiday

I hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day! In Korean culture there are a handful of romantic holidays throughout the year. When I say a handful, I mean the 14th of every month. The 14th of every month marks a love-related day including: Candle Day, Valentine's Day, White Day, Black Day, Rose Day, Kiss Day, Silver Day, Green Day, Music Day, Wine Day, Movie Day, and Hug Day.

The most recent one on Feb. 14th (Valentine's Day) women give chocolate to men and then on March 14th (White Day) men give non-chocolate candy to women. On April 14th (Black Day), people who didn't receive anything on the 14th of Feb. or March go to a Chinese restaurant to eat black noodles and "mourn" their single life. Talk about depressing.

Koreans also celebrate Pepero Day on November 11th, when young couples give each other Pepero cookies. The date '11/11' is intended to resemble the long shape of the cookie.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about eating black noodles on April 14th because I DID receive chocolates from students and coworkers. One student, Julie, wrote me this note and attached it to some candy... so cute:



It's a little hard to read, but it says:

To: Teacher From: Julie (with a heart over the "i"... I've taught her well, just kidding, I don't do that.)

Hellow
You tired with me and student?
I'm prepare one of the small confectionary. (smiley face)
Good New Year's Day
Always Thank You

[My] Translation:

To: Teacher From: Julie

Hello
You've helped me [become a better] student.
Here's some candy for you.
Happy New Year!
Thank You

How cute is that?! Oh and to top it off, she has the cutest Hello Kitty bag.

What do you think she's trying to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment