Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Level Up Tests

Every term my students have to take level up exams. Depending on how they do on these exams, weekly tests, participation, and homework they either move up or stay at the level they're at. After two times being at one level they have to move up. Anyways, test taking days are supposed to be the easiest days of the year because you just sit there and make sure students don't cheat. There are test booklets and scantron sheets that have to be filled out with marker. The scantron sheets are double sided so the answer side should be in marker and the other side should be in pencil with only their Korean name, English name, and home telephone number. If they make a mistake bubbling in answers, I told them to raise their hand and I would come around and white it out to fix it. Well here's how my directions got translated to some students:

-I had one student who didn't know the last few questions X out every single a,b,c,d answer instead of guessing and circling an answer in.
-A handfull of students wrote marker on both sides of their papers so it leaked through and ruined their tests.
-Keep in mind they only needed to fill out three things on the backside (in pencil), but they filled out the whole thing in marker.
-Instead of bubbling in the answers, one student literally circled each letter.
-Many students (mainly boys, sorry) aren't the neatest, and there were sqiggly lines in marker all over their tests.
-Students felt the urge to say "I'm done" and announce it to the class loudly.

The first four scenarios were the worst and I learned from class to class the process did get easier. I was never a good test taker and I hated scantrons. My first time proctoring level up tests made me hate them even more.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh michelley, that's terrible. i feel like i would have made a million mistakes on mine too and cried cried cried. seems like you survived though! good work!

    ReplyDelete