Monday, February 22, 2010

And the Academy Award Goes to...

I haven't had another umbrella incident, but I did have another crier. My students are obsessed with being first in line (I vaguely remember those days) so when it comes to lining up at the end of class, it's a big deal.

I try to switch it up with different games, calling on good students, etc. On this particular day, I was in a great mood and played a game with them. Of course it was an educational game so I ask students questions from the book and whoever gets the most questions right gets to line up first. Sounds fair right? Here's the catch. I only call on students who raise their hand, are quiet, and are sitting still. Well, one student, who always yells out and can't sit still put his head on his desk and started crying. Oy. I dismissed the rest of the class and tried to calm this one student down. Now this wasn't just a tear drop-here's a tissue-wipe it away-type cry, this was a hyperventilating-can't breathe-what have I done-type cry. He stayed after class for a good five minutes while I tried to fix the situation. He pointed to his hand and made an X with the other one, which meant I didn't call on him enough. First, I told him to breathe, then I explained the rules that he had to be quiet and raise his hand, and finally I turned the situation into a positive one and pointed out that he did answer one (ha) question right. I don't think that helped though. He is famous for his monkey dance so I asked him if I could see it hoping that would help cheer him up. I got denied. What was supposed to be a fun game, turned into another sob story. Tear.

1 comment:

  1. bahah LOVED being 1st in line <3 prob standing next to you

    ReplyDelete