Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another KTX Fail

So this is an old story, but I think it's worth posting. To ring in the New Year I went down to Busan and celebrated with a few friends. I still hadn't started work so I was still in vacation mode and enjoyed myself very much. It was Sunday and I was ready to head back to Daejeon to prepare myself for my first day of work the following day. Well, I got to the train station assuming I could just take the KTX back. There are automated machines that are in English so I went to buy my ticket. Every time slot for the KTX was sold out. A million thoughts were going through my head. I thought I was going to be stuck in Busan and would have to call my boss with the phone I didn't have and explain that I couldn't make it to my first day of work. That's anyones worst nightmare. Next, I went to the actual ticket counter thinking maybe there were more times or seats available (reminds me of the movie scenario), well there weren't. The lady did give me another ticket though to take the slow train home. The first leg of the trip I didn't have an assigned seat so I had to stand, but halfway through I was assigned a seat. This kind of confused me because I didn't know if I was supposed to switch trains halfway through to get a seat or stay on the same one.

During the first part of my journey home I literally felt like I was on the Titanic. There were so many people standing and pushing and pulling and I was fortunate enough to be standing by the door so every time the door opened I got knocked over by it. Luckily there were two Korean women crotched behind some seats sitting on their suitcases. They were so nice and saved their "seat" for me when they got off the train. So the remainder of my time without a seat wasn't too bad because I had a cozy spot away from all of the pushy people.

When it was time for me to get an actual seat, I was still confused whether to stay on the train or get off and onto another one, so I took a chance and stayed on the same one. I left my prime spot and went to find my seat only to find someone else was already sitting there. Being the nice person that I am (and lack of Korean) I let the person stay in MY seat and went to find another place to stand. Passing through all of the cars, I found the entertainment car. It had computers, karaoke, games, picture machines, and of course a snack bar. I hadn't eaten so I ordered something to eat. Of course the thing I ordered came with a bunch of side dishes so I thought it was going to be near impossible to find a place to sit and eat. I started walking away and the cashier came out from behind the counter and started yelling at people (I'm assuming) telling them to move so I could sit and eat. It was so nice! Someone got up and others smushed together and made room for me and my million side dishes. So the remainder of the train ride home I finally got a seat!

Note to self: If on a train without an assigned seat, buy something to eat and you'll get a seat.

So after about 3.5 hours on the train I made it back to Daejeon and to work the next day.

1 comment: