Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hodgepodge

If you know me at all, you know that I'm obsessed with making lists. I make lists reminding myself to make lists and I always get a rush crossing things off even if it is just to "wake up". Anyways, here's a list of things I've learned over the past few days:

1.) My new HI (head instructor) is obsessed with The Twilight Saga. Friday we had a work dinner party and somehow Twilight came up. She just finished New Moon and is hesitant to start the next book because she knows she won't be social until she's done with it. Not that I can relate or anything... but we immediately bonded over our love for Twilight. I know it's sad, but oh, so true. I already recruited her to see Eclipse with me. Even though she's on Team Edward and I'm on Team Jacob (gotta love TL) whatever the case, it's Twilight.

2.) One word to describe Joy (student featured in the post below) would be d-i-v-o, divo. Twenty bucks says that he's the next Korean pop star. Recently he won't sit down because he's perfecting his dance moves. Today I ended class a little early and let him dance and sing in front of the blue screen. He's actually very good and I wish you all could see it. He knows every (no exaggeration) pop song with choreography and it may be the cutest thing I've ever seen.

3.) I enjoy grading papers and writing on the board in Expo markers. Oh, the perks of being a teacher. When I get into the right groove, I can grade papers in no time and I actually like it. Grades reflect how well I'm doing as a teacher and I want my students to exceed so I like seeing positive results. I also recently got new dry erase markers and they make all the difference. Have I mentioned how good of a stick figure drawer I am?!

4.) St. Patrick's Day is not common in Korea. Today I played hangman with my students and Happy St. Patrick's Day was the word(s). After every letter was filled in, they were still sounding out each word and had no idea what they meant. I explained the holiday by talking about the Irish, the color green, lucky clovers, pots of gold and leprechauns. You learn something new every day.

5.) White Day was on Sunday. I mentioned White Day in a previous post, but in case you missed it, White Day is similar to Valentine's Day. It's a time for guys to treat the ladies on this special day. I received a nicely wrapped, jar of candy from a student. How sweet.

6.) Mark your calendars because the continuation of season 1 of GLEE is April 13th and it's going to bigger than ever featuring the return of Kristin Chenoweth, welcoming Idina Menzel (Wicked/Rent/my ultimate idol) and Jonathan Groff (Spring Awakening), and music by Madonna and Lady Gaga!

7.) Korea is obsessed with online gaming. Before I had the internet in my apartment I went to PC bangs and was surrounded by (mainly) men using the computers to play games. Warning: sad story ahead... I read about this Korean couple whose baby died due to malnutrition because the couple was taking care of their virtual baby. How awful.

I suppose that's enough randomness for today.

1 comment:

  1. hahah love your lists. do u use stickers? smilies when you grade? k i love you! zozo

    ReplyDelete