Friday, March 26, 2010

TGIF

Even though Friday is my shortest work day of the week (1:30 p.m.-8 p.m.) it always feels like the longest.

Summary of my day:

-Crying Situation #1: Today I took points away from a girl who didn't do her homework. She was sobbing/gasping for breathe the whole 45 minute class period. I obviously felt bad, but it's standard procedure. I can't take points away from some students and not others when they don't do their homework. I pulled her aside after class to make sure she was ok and told her I'd give her the points back on Monday if she completed it. I also snuck her a little treat- a meat stick. It reminds me of string cheese and looks disgusting. Students are very generous when it comes to snack time. They are always giving me bits and pieces of their snacks... sometimes it's good, other times it's not so good (ie: red, bean paste filled buns). I have yet to try this mystery "meat stick." They freak me out. The past two days students have gifted me with them. I always say thank you with a big smile on my face, politely put it in my desk and tell them I'll save it for later. I know it's not very courteous of me, but I confess I re-gifted a meat stick today.

-Crying Situation #2: A lot can happen during the five minute break time between classes. I'm always warning my students not to slam the door because someone will get hurt. I even show them by pretending to shut the door on my fingers. I bet you see where this story is going. I didn't actually see anything because I was in the lobby, but rumor has it Harry slammed the door on SM7's (side note: SM7 is the name of a car and insists on me calling me that) arm. Tragedy. I wouldn't be surprised if SM7 comes in with a cast up to his elbow on Monday.

-Story time: Today we had a discussion about chores. I was surprised to find out that most students helped do the dishes, laundry, clean the floors, etc. As a joke (joke #1) I drew a picture of a toilet and asked them if they ever cleaned it. After the "ewww's" and "my dad does that!" one boy confessed that one time he did indeed clean the toilet. He also told the class that the one time he cleaned it, his toothbrush fell in the bowl and... he continued using it. SICK. He said that it started to smell funny so he finally got a new one. I mean who knows if he was telling the truth or not, but I went on and on saying that when you drop a toothbrush in the toilet, you THROW IT OUT! I hope my overreaction taught him a lesson. I was on a roll in this class because (joke #2) I told them that they should come to my apartment and clean it for me. They said they'd do it if A.) I'd buy them food B.) Give them money C.) Give them an A+ D.) Any combination of A, B, or C and E.) All of the above. Then the conversation turned into... "Teacher, where do you live?" and "Teacher, what's your cell phone number?". I quickly changed the subject and moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment