Thursday, July 22, 2010

MUDFEST

Boryeong Mud Festival is something I've been looking forward to since before I got to Korea. I finally went to the long awaited festival last weekend and it was everything I hoped it was going to be.

There was a big group of us going so we all met at the bus station bright and early Saturday morning. On the way there it was pouring rain, but luckily after the 2.5 hour bus ride the weather cleared up. MudFest is exactly what you'd think it would be. Tons of therapeutic mud is brought to Boryeong and there are blow up slides, obstacle courses, wrestling rings, and even stations to get painted in colored mud. There were so many foreigners and I even ran into a bunch of people I knew.

Thankfully, one of my Korean friends booked a pension (like a hotel, but you sleep on the floor) for everyone so we had a place to stay the night. We had a huge cook out and slept great after a long day of running around covered in mud.

The second day of MudFest, the weather was perfect! I went to the beach and laid out for the first time all summer (paid for it later). We had to take advantage of MUDFEST so we got painted in mud by some guys from the military. One was from Huntsville, Alabama and the other one was from Iowa and was a huge Tom Izzo fan. It's always fun meeting new people, especially Izzo fans!

After the mud dried and some photo shoots (there were tons of paparazzi, literally) we washed off in the Yellow Sea and headed to the train station. We got there just in time because tickets were selling out fast. I ended up on a non-direct train back to Daejeon. The first train was 7 minutes delayed which worried me because I only had 11 minutes in between that train and catching the KTX back to Daejeon. I had another 'Amazing Race' experience running from the first train to the KTX. Thankfully I made it just in time.

It wasn't until later that night after being on the beach all day that I realized exactly how much sun I had gotten. I bought some aloe and some other lotion from the pharmacy and since then, it has turned into a nice base tan for Thailand. When I left MudFest I said that I'd stay in Korea another year, just so I could go again next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment