Monday, August 23, 2010

Food for Thought

My brother had his annual beach bash this past weekend and luckily, I was able to catch him and Liz, some of his friends, and baby Adam on Skype. I guess he brewed some new beers and of course, they had a delicious menu planned for the weekend. I'm proud of myself for lasting this long, but I'm getting so sick of Korean food. The thought of all of the food that was at Camp C this past weekend made me so jealous. I feel like Korea lacks variety in terms of food and the same spicy, red sauce is on everything. P.S. I just watched a preview of a new cake decorating show on Oxygen and those shows always make me want to become a cake decorator ha. Oh, P.P.S. Perez posted a picture of Miley Cyrus at Benihana's in Troy which just happens to be the restaurant I always went to on my birthday! Anyways, here are some examples of typical Korean food.

When in doubt, get mandu. You can get them steamed or fried and it's a dumpling filled with meat, vegetables, kimchi, or seafood. I also love dumpling soup.
Kimbop looks like sushi, but it doesn't taste like it. It's vegetables rolled up in rice and seaweed and you can get tuna, beef, or cheese in them.
Kimchi is served at every meal. Many students claim it's their favorite food. It's a pickled cabbage with a spicy, red sauce on top of it.
Dak galbi is grilled chicken, cabbage, and rice cakes cooked right in front of you with a spicy, red sauce on top.
Here's an example of Korean rice cakes with the (same) spicy, red sauce on top. They're really chewy and sometimes filled with cheese. Korean rice cakes are often made into decorative desserts.
Bipimbop is Korea's version of a salad. It comes with a variety of vegetables and egg over rice with the (same) spicy, red sauce underneath.
Bulgogi is a sweet beef served with rice.

Did you notice a trend with the spicy, red sauce on everything?! Luckily, I don't mind it, but if you aren't a fan of spicy food, good luck. Currently craving: Leo's greek salad, extra feta, olives, and banana peppers with light Greek dressing and a steamed pita... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment