Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spel Chek

Growing up, my dear friend, Whitney, always wore a headband with her name puffy painted on it. She was so proud of her craft, wore it practically everyday, and loved showing it off. Obviously, school pictures were a big deal. I mean they are printed in yearbooks that last forever and are framed on fireplace mantels until the following year.

Well, Whitney wore her favorite headband in her school picture that year, but it wasn't until she got her pictures back that she realized her name was spelled wrong. Unfortunately, she forgot the 't' so instead of 'Whitney', in big, puffy painted letters (hopefully, neon and glittery) it said, 'Whiney'. I think she was more upset that NO ONE told her that her name was spelled wrong on her headband, not even her mom when they (obviously) laid out her outfit the night before school pictures. I have yet to see the picture, but I practically cry from laughing every time I hear the story.

Whitney's story reminded me of one of my students the other day. This little boy, Kevin came to class wearing a bright, orange baseball hat. He was so proud of his new hat and was showing it off to everyone (that's a little exaggerated), but I noticed he had his name stitched on the side of it in white letters. Unfortunately, there was an extra 'e' in his name so instead of 'Kevin' it was spelled 'Kevien'. I didn't have the heart to tell him. I just hope he doesn't wear it in his school pictures this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment