Monday, October 4, 2010

Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture

...the title really has nothing to do with this post.

Kids really do say the darndest things. I wish I could remember all of their little comments that make me laugh throughout my day, but here are some that stuck in my head from the past few weeks.
  • "Teacher, you look like a ninja."
  • "Teacher, do you like God? I like God. Well, my school likes God so I have to like God."
  • "Teacher, he took my sharp." (sharp = mechanical pencil)
  • "Did you find a husband this weekend?"
Side story #1: Today, I had a new student so I obviously asked what her name was. She said Lena and I thought that was cute and called her Lena the rest of class. It wasn't until I was inputting grades at the end of the day that I realized her name was really Rina. Koreans have trouble saying 'r's' so I heard Lena instead of Rina. Oops.

Side story #2: One of the topic discussions last week was about helping others. Together, we made a list of people we wanted to help and how we would help them. Somehow North Korea made it on the list. There were a few questions about North Korea so I briefly had to explain the differences between North and South Korea which made for an interesting and semi-awkward conversation. In the end, their presentations were so touching and heartfelt all about how they wanted to help people in North Korea.

Another thing that I've noticed is that my students mix up the words 'fun' and 'funny' all the time. No matter how many times I explain 'fun' is like woohoo! and 'funny' is like haha, they just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment