Tuesday, October 12, 2010

There's a First Time for Everything

For the first time in ten months a cab driver actual understood where I wanted to go without:
  • Asking me to repeat it
  • Kicking me out of the cab
  • Showing him a piece of paper with the Korean written on it
  • Showing him my ARC card with my address on it
  • Having someone else say it
Unfortunately, my Korean is not improving. I attempted to learn how to say "I do not speak Korean," but I failed miserably. Instead I have learned how to say "meguk" which means "American" and "molayo" which means "I don't know."

I enjoy pretending to speak and understand Korean. For example, at Home Plus when I check out they always ask "Do you have a point card?" along with 100 other questions. I always just shake my head no and for all I know I could've been the one millionth customer and just turned down $5,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment